Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Razon's of Guagua: Stop and Savor


It’s been awhile since I've savored my food again. I had been used in eating at fastfoods or eating inside the car lately because my 5 year old doesn't seem to have the patience to sit through a fine dining experience.


Anyway, I left my son in one of the mall’s secured play area and wandered off to take a quick lunch. I have an hour before hurrying back. Yes, it is one of the travails of a mother, always in a hurry. Then I saw the newly opened Razon’s beside Inasal Chicken Bacolod. And I thought, it’s been years since I tasted their Halo Halo (this shaved ice concoction) so I ambled my anxious feet there.


I ordered their Dinuguan (pig’s blood stew) and puto (rice cake) even if Pancit Luglug would have been an easier choice because Razon’s seem to be famous for it, more on that later. Anyway, their Dinuguan is a little light colored than the ones I usually have in Red Ribbon or Goldilocks. It also had a surprising crunch. According to one of the crew, it was pig cheeks. Hmm.. Interesting. But it tasted good, it added extra texture to the dish. Meanwhile, the Dinuguan's broth is filling and hearty, its restrained sourness complemented the sweetness of the puto nicely.


Tasting the two is partaking two distinct and opposite tastes that go well together. The Dinuguan had a more masculine appeal to it, hardy and meaty while the puto radiated delicateness by being soft and sweet.


Unlike the usual puto that is coarse or crumbly this one was smoother, almost melting in your mouth, its daintiness tastefully complemented the musky Dinuguan. Come to think of it, even their colors clash, black and white.  Wow, I’m describing them like they’re people, what’s wrong with me? J But if they were people, they would make a great team.


Moving on, the Halo Halo was also different from the usual. Unlike some where the ingredients are staggering, this one had their trio, the dayap flavored leche flan, the sweetened saba and the macapuno strips. What makes this Halo Halo stand out beside the simple ingredients is its shaved ice. It melts easily than the other ice shavings I encountered. How they do that, I don’t know. With the other Halo Halos, you have to strike the ice a little forcefully to get through and take on the buried sago (tapioca balls), saba, camote, ube and other treats. Here it doesn’t take much, no ice axe needed, thank you.


Moreover, they have perfected their Halo Halo blend, their signature mixture of milk and sugar is all inside that glass. If you find it sweet or wanting for more milk, it’s your call but for me, it’s all good. I don’t need to figure it out, I like it as it is.


Then we go to the Pancit Luglug. Actually, I came back here, merienda time just to taste this. And well, I’m not smitten, sorry. It was a plate of noodles with orange sauce peppered with chicharon bits and topped with egg slices. The sauce was not exactly superb so I don’t want to dwell on it much. But hey, to each his own, it’s been around for many years and some people seem to like it, so there.


Overall, the Dinuguan and Puto and Halo Halo were my highlights for Razon’s. It made me needle for more time to savor them. An hour lessened by waiting time doesn’t seem enough. I want to spend more time relishing it, enjoying it. Then I heard some oldtimers impatiently waiting for their orders and harassing the waiters. Maybe they just needed a quick bite, too bad.  And I wonder, what’s the rush? They don’t look like harried mothers with whiny toddlers in tow. This type of food needs to be cherished and lingered upon. It's a small luxury we can give to ourselves, something we should indulge in once in a while because really, who wants to eat in a hurry? J

No comments:

Post a Comment