Thursday, June 23, 2011

Little Asia Venice Piazza, feast for the eyes and palate


I’ve never heard of this restaurant before. So when my brother took the family for a dinner celebration in Venice Piazza in McKinley Hill and ushered us into Little Asia, I was a little surprised. Pleasantly so. The furnishings were a feast to the eyes, opulent chandeliers and eye-catching tapestries catches your attention while plush red velvet seats adorn the sides. Moreover, you have a feeling that you’ll be eating good when you notice the awards reaped by this restaurant showcased on their placemats.


Honestly, I don’t recall all the dishes that were served that night. But one dish that stood out for me was the prawn salad. I’ve been to other Chinese restaurants but this seems to be the first time I’ve had it. Maybe I had one before but it must have been forgettable. It consisted of breaded prawns in a bed of fruit salad lathered by cream and hints of mayonnaise I think. Maybe there was milk in there too for a little sweetness. But whatever mixture they concocted, the result was a delectable. It whetted my appetite and I couldn’t get enough.




There was also the crispy chicken that looked like a Peking duck to me. It had a good crunch to it and the meat was well-seasoned. The sauce was nothing spectacular but it provided a good contrast to the white chicken meat.

And for dessert, I had the crepe samurai. I was thinking of soft, fragile crepes embedded with sweet mangoes and drizzled with chocolate syrup but I was surprised. I forgot that this restaurant was a fusion of sorts, of Asian food I believe. I was served a small bowl of what looked like a crème bruleé. Inside were the creamed sweet mangoes. It’s different from what I expected it to be but it tasted fine and certainly was very creative.

Going to new restaurants is like embarking on a new adventure. You don’t know what to expect. But in Little Asia, the food is not the only attraction but also its décor and furnishings. It is well-thought of, inspired even, giving you the impression that they are serving a feast fit for emperors. I’m not sure if I tasted all their bestsellers but given the chance, I wouldn’t mind going back. I’d like to try their take on other Asian dishes and of course, dine in the midst of such opulence once again.

2 comments: