Saturday, November 17, 2018

Meok-ja Golmok Korean Restaurant BF Homes Paranaque- A Korean Food Discovery



There’s this simple Korean restaurant I sometimes go to when I want a taste of authentic Korean cuisine. It is owned by a Korean lady with curly hair who often have her Korean friends over so I’d like to think it is the real deal. They don’t speak English much and can seem a little standoffish but I’m here for the food so I just don’t mind it.  Besides, the owner often says Thank you when I go out the door so that’s fine.


Anyway, the restaurant is below my son’s therapy center, Communicare in BF Homes and here my son likes their Beef Bulgogi. Me, I like their Bibimbab or what they call their bibimbap dish, a rice bowl topped with steamed vegetables and fried egg. There is nothing simple about this dish with its varied colors, textures and flavors. The vegetables are nicely cooked with steamed julienned slices that goes well with a crisp and savory egg. More than that, they also have a red sauce like catsup that you can drizzle and mix in the bowl to give it an added kick. This hint of spice is a surprising but delectable addition to this veggies and egg dish. Combined together, it becomes a refreshing and satisfying meal.




Their side dishes also contribute to this symphony of tastes and textures. A variety of petite sized  vegetables on small plates each with a distinct flavor. It is a mini buffet of side dishes that adds something extra to the meal as if the whole bowl is not a garden variety of colors and flavors already. But it is a happy addition I’d take with a smile. My husband likes these side dishes too so he was  a little sad when this restaurant's to go meals did not come with side dishes. Like me, he is also taken with their Bibimbab and looks forward to me bringing home one after therapy. Meanwhile, my son often assumes I ordered his favorite Bulgogi when we go to therapy but hey, I can’t always order out. Well, okay maybe next time.


Truly, simple food does not always mean simple flavors. Sometimes, it is the opposite. They surprise you and make you realize that flavors does not always have to be over the top to enjoy it. Sometimes, it is how ingredients are cooked and presented like this Bibimbab.

No comments:

Post a Comment