Saturday, May 9, 2015

Sisig House: Going back for their tofu sisig


There is a food stall I come back to when I go to Shopwise Sucat and this is Sisig House. It offers different kinds of sisig, pork, chicken, tuna and tofu sisig. I have tried all of it but only one has captured my heart, the tofu sisig. Though, I also like their pork sisig but the tofu sisig is what I liked best.


Unlike the usual sisig that is dried Sisig House’s tofu sisig has this thin mayo-like sauce that covers the pieces of small, white cubed tofu. It comes with rice if you want and placed in a small carton that costs P65. But don’t let its simple appearance fool you because what it lacks in shiny packaging more than makes up for its engaging flavor.


Topped with chicharon bits, slivers of green sili, chopped onions, a pinch of dried liver spread I think and slightly drenched in their own sauce, the ordinary tofu becomes part of a sumptuous ensemble. It may not have foie gras or caviar or any fancy ingredient that would herald such a praise but sometimes simple flavors just excite you, sometimes they just make you want to have a second serving and extra rice on the side :)


Maybe what I liked about this sisig was its different take on the usual one, it had its own version. It went out of the box, totally divergent :) Unlike the  usual sisig made up of a pig’s facial parts, yes, facial parts like the ears and some, the tofu sisig is the healthier version yet, it still tastes as sinful.


I think the sauce was what made it special and how it coalesced  with other elements like the crunchy chicharon that gave it texture, the liver bits that added depth into it and the sweet/sharp flavors onions that complemented the zing of the green sili. They all combined to present you with flavors that complemented each other. Added to that is the slight sourness of the slice calamansi that cuts through the slight richness of the sauce :)

This tofu ricebox experience is quite ideal if you have your rice piping hot and delicate. Maybe you can ask the attendant to have it re-heated if you found yours a little cold and if you don't like onions like my husband does I think you may also ask them to hold it instead.


It’s nice to know that  there is a place you can go to if you have some sisig craving. More than that, it's also nice to know that you can order a bigger size if you are craving for more than a ricebox. Sisig House has their barkada box too that is good for two to three people and also a party size placed in a bilao worth P500 and P700. Now, you can share sisig, be it pork, chicken, tuna and my favorite tofu to your friends and family.

1 comment:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete