Friday, April 6, 2018

Mary Grace: More than just food



This is one of my favorite restaurants beside Conti’s. The unique décor always draws you in with its vintage lanterns on the ceiling, its hanging butterflies and doves and the blinking lights during Christmas.  The ambiance has a modern Filipino vibe to it. From the knitted coasters to the stained glass windows in some stores and handwritten letters pressed underneath their glass-topped tables, it truly gives you a unique experience.

 
 
My son loves their beef sirloin tapa and rosemary rice without eggs. He liked it so much, he licked his plate one time after eating to my horror. After I reprimanded him for it, he would just say, “De -li -cious” after eating his fill. Out of curiosity, I tried one piece and it tasted a little like barbecue not the usual tapa which can be a little salty and tough. This one had a tender flavor and texture to it that’s why he liked and probably because barbecue is one of his favorite food.
 
 
Meanwhile, my favorite in Mary Grace is their garlic longganisa with rosemary rice and sunny side up eggs. Their four pieces of longganisa are always full and satisfying and coupled with runny egg yolks on the side and a cup of orang-hued rice it’s a breakfast you want to come back to when you have a chance.
 

But aside from their breakfast fare which you can order all day, I also like their kesong puti salad with calamansi vinaigrette. It is a different take on your usual salad with thick dressing. The cubed kesong puti is fried and encrusted with bread crumbs so it is crunchy and soft at the same time. Their calamansi vinaigrette is light and not too sour and even had a hint of sweetness to it. It is a good and light dressing for your crunchy greens and grilled tomatoes.


I like dining in Mary Grace because this place has become a respite from my usual chores, my oasis from the daily grind. Its unique ambiance lets me forget the hustle and bustle outside. Going in, I am momentarily transported to a different place  brimming with nostalgia and creativity while being served good food.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment